Susan:Things are really turning around.
蘇珊:生意現在可說是大有起色。
Jeff:They sure are. It's almost hard to believe.
傑夫:的確是。簡直令人難以置信。
Susan:It's great! We're making money hand over fist.
蘇珊:真是太好了!我們正在賺大錢呢!
Jeff:At this rate, we'll be able to pay back the loan in no time.
傑夫:照這種速度,我們很快就可以把貸款還清了。
Susan:Best of all, I won't have to move back to live with my parents.
蘇珊:最棒的是,這樣一來我就不用搬回去跟我爸媽一起住了!
Jeff:I bet they would be happy to learn about that.
傑夫:我賭他們知道了一定很高興。
Susan:They don't care, but my younger sister is thrilled. She likes being the only child.
蘇珊:他們才不在乎,不過我妹妹超興奮的,她喜歡當家裡唯一的小孩。
make money hand over fist 輕鬆賺大錢
money表「錢」,hand表「手」,fist表「拳頭」。hand over fist 這個俚語據說源於航海生活,因為船員拖漁網或是升起船帆時,必須左右手交替拉繩子,hand over fist即引申有「快速的」、「毫不費力的」意思,類似中文「易如反掌」的說法。make money hand over fist 即表「輕鬆賺大錢」。
◎put one's money where one's mouth is 別光說不練
例:If you're so certain that your plan will work, why don't you put your money where your mouth is?(如果你這麼有把握計劃會成功,就別光說不練。)
◎throw money at something 花錢了事
例:The problem cannot be solved by just throwing money at it.(那個問題光用錢是沒辦法解決的。)
in no time 很快,立即
例:Don't worry. I'll be home in no time.(別擔心,我馬上就到家了。)
bet vt. 打賭(三態同形)
例:He bet that the team will win the game.(他打賭這支隊伍會贏得比賽。)
thrilled a. 非常興奮的
例:They were all thrilled to hear the good news.(他們聽到這個好消息都興奮極了。)
本版文章結集及生活美語線上教學短片請瀏覽abc.1-apple.com.tw